This is the season of BBQs, and if you grow your own food, it’s also the season of tons and tons of zucchini and summer squash!
Summer squash is delicious, nutritious, and very easy to grow, so here’s a new recipe to help you use up some of that good stuff and entertain your guests at the same time.
Zucchini, Bell Pepper and Onion Skewers with Basil Vinaigrette
2 medium zucchinis, ends removed and cut into ½” chunks
1 bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 1” chunks
1 sweet onion, cut into 1” chunks
Skewers for grilling
2 cups basil leaves
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup white vinegar
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste
- In a blender or food processor, combine vinaigrette ingredients and whirl until smooth. Preheat grill with medium flame/heat
- Place summer squash, bell pepper, and onion on skewers, alternating as you go.
- Brush skewers with the vinaigrette
- Place skewers on grill and cook until the squash is soft, about 12-15 minutes depending on temperature.
- Serve with some BBQ chicken or steak for a perfect side dish!